What is the Big 6 research method?
The Big 6 research method is a detailed 6-step process to guide students through the research process.
Big 6 Steps
Following these steps will help you to focus and stay organized while doing your research.
1. Task Definition
1. Task Definition
- Define your assignment & identify information needed to complete it.
- Restate the assignment in your own words. What are you interested in learning?
- Gather basic information about your topic by reading articles, web pages etc.
- Talking with teachers/parents/librarians is also helpful.
- Make a list of all possible sources & select the best ones.
- Choose from nonfiction, news articles, reference books, web pages, ebooks and encyclopedias.
- Locate sources & find information within the texts.
- Consult the library catalog, library reference section, search engines, and web-based references
- Use a graphic organizer to map out your topic and sub topics
- Engage with your source: read, hear, view & extract the most valuable information
- Use skimming and scanning to find information that addresses your topic.
- Look for key words, pictures, read headlines and first & last paragraphs of articles to help find the “right” information.
- Take notes – cite your source on your note card
- Summarize, paraphrase or quote.
- Remember to cite each source you use. Use these tools.
- Choose the format of your project and organize your research notes according to how you will share the information.
- If your format is a paper, begin by writing an outline.
- If you are producing a PowerPoint or multi-media presentation, categorize your main bullet points and images. Different formats require different types of organization.
- Present the information effectively by practicing and knowing your audience.
- Judge the product (effectiveness).
- Judge the process (efficiency).
- Did you meet your objective?
- Judge the quality of your work.
- Next, judge the quality of your presentation.
- You can use criteria such as accuracy, content, creativity and legibility.